Monday, August 19, 2013

ATHENA - Steampunk airship (103)

Hi guys,
time for the ATHENA to continue.
@Steward - Hmm, using the Queen from the 2P is an intriguing idea :)
Nice profile. I think it could fit on the bomb chutes...
Thanks for the idea, and if I ever get to Oxforshire, I will shout out.

Once I was satisfied with the ATHENA image on the MOROS turret, I added the obligatory scratches and chipped paint - to the image and the rest of the turret and barrels.
 
 
And then it was finally time to paint the wood on the rear deck.
I gave it a good paint coat with Vallejo Earth, but making sure to leave many of the deep groves dark.
After that I gave it two washes of thinned Vallejo Smoked Ink.
To give it a worn look i added some black soot and scratch marks - like leaked oils and hydraulic fluid as well as tire marks.
Then a final wash of the thinned Smoked Ink and complete it was :)
 
I'm really pleased with the result. It almost looks like real wood.
 
And even in daylight, without artificial lighting it looks great.
 
With the wooden deck out of the way I started painting the steampunk ornaments and the portholes on the port side of the body.
 
and after that it was time to start the damage.
 
Its a lot of work, but the result is worth it :)
 
 
 
That#s it for today's update.
I hope you like it and I look forward to your comments, feedback, criticism, suggestions.
Cheers
Klaus