Thursday, January 20, 2011

Suicide Bomber

Recovering from my hernia operation, I have plenty of time, but unfortunately I can't sit and paint very long at a time, so I don't get as much painting as I was hoping for :(
But it leaves me with plenty of time thinking....and you all know that THIS is not good for any of my projects waiting to be completed... :)

But anyhow, you all decided that I should continue with the Crimson Guardian and the Gretchin suicide bomber. 26:9 votes is quite a clear result.
Thank You for your participation.

As a reminder, this is how the two looked before priming.

And they need to fit together with the other Crimson Guardian that I have already completed.

So I started off with a dark red base coat

and applied some shades, as I'm trying to do some zenithal(sp?) lighting.

First lighter reds.

Unfortunately the photo doesn't really show how the lights and shades work on the model...

But some highlights later it becomes more visible.



Then I tried some OSL for the eye and the little light on top.


Next I experimented with NMM gold.

It's not bad.

So I did it also for the eagle on the shin.


and all the other golden pieces.


Compared to the original Guardian I'm quite satisfied.

More details.

And this completed the Guardian.

For the Gretchin I started off with "Sick Green" from Vallejo.

Two washes of Thraka Green and highlights of "Goblin Green" later.

After each color I applied a wash of TG and then the same color again. I think the transitions of the colors work pretty well this way.

Then highlights with Camoflage Green.


And final highlights with Escorpena Green.

Then the final details for the eyes and teeth.
Unfortunately the bomb-bag broke off, but that will be easily fixed once it's painted.

Well, I hope you like it so far :)
As mentioned, I have more time thinking than actually working on the minis, so there is the dawning of a new project brewing up in the back of my mind. I hope I can restrain it a bit longer, but no guarantees :-P
Cheers
Klaus