Friday, July 10, 2015

Bian the Red - finished

Hi all,

as time was running out, I had to rush to complete Bian. 

I had to completely re-paint her skin.
But it was really worth it :)
 
Even though the flames from the braziers aren't as bright as I wanted them,
 
The overall result is good.
 
 
So here's an all-around:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

And the usual Coolminiornot Collage:
This is Bian the Red, daughter of the Hydana the dragon and the mortal Lucianus of Camore.
She is seen in her lair, between her precious gold, pearls and gems - a treasure worthy of any real dragon - in a prayer to the God of Fire.
 
If you find the time, I'd appreciate the vote ;)

 Thank you 
Klaus

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Bian the Red (5)

Hi all,

wow the last week was very hot over here in Germany. We had between 30° and 40°Celsius (86°-104° Fahrenheit) for the last two weeks.
It was so hot, the paint dried before it reached the miniature ;-)

Actually I didn't really feel like painting at all, but since I have a contest deadline of July 10th I have to get moving.
Since the last update I applied all the base colors.
And then started to deepen the colors - mostly via several layers of washes.
 
And then started to work out the deeper shadows and highlights.
@
I have to admit I'm glad I took the light reference photos - it makes highlighting so much easier!
 
Last night I worked on finalizing most of the gold, gems and scales.
 
 
 
Now it is mainly re-painting the skin and work out the shadows and highlights.
 
I hope you like the progress so far :)
I look forward to your comments and feedback.
Cheers
Klaus

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Dragon-Girl or "Bian the Red" (4)

Hi all,

@

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Dragon-Girl (3)

Hi all,

as stated in the last update, I was thinking a lot how to create the skin for the wings.
I did quite some experimenting and ended with using ProCreate.

For this I rolled the ProCreate very flat and then rolled it onto a sheet of crumpled aluminium foil and let it cure. 
 












Once it was cured I cut it into fitting sections and glued it to the wing skeleton.
 












And then I used liquid GreenStuff to smoothen the seams.
 
















It was a bit of work and I had to do several rounds of liquid GreenStuff.
 
 















But I think it was worth it :)
 












With the build complete I decided to take some "light reference photos".
For this I cut simple candles to a small shape (so I can position it where needed)
 
 











and then took photos with the 4 candles in position where the "flames" will be.
 












I will use these photos as reference for painting her.
 

 










Speaking of painting :)
As usual I primed everything black












and then started painting the base.
This time I used a rather cold grey as base for the scene
 
 











and added some shades.
 

 










Next were the gold coins...
using my usual gold base color.
Just this little batch of coins took me a good hour to paint :(












If I'd have known how time consuming just this base color for the coins would be...
 

 










I probably would've tried something else.
 

 










All-in-all it took me the better part of 6 hours just to (base) paint the coins.
 












 Next will be the jewels and gems, plus the piece of cloth on the pillar, and then shading and highlighting according to the reference photos.

Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew....
I hope you like today's update and I look forward to your feedback and comments.
Cheers
Klaus

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Dragon-Girl (2)

Hi all,
thank you for your comments and feedback.

@