Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Monster Rider (3)

Hi all,

in the last post I stopped at the decision point for the monster's head.
The initial idea for the Wolp'er-Tingah* was something close to human. 

*Wolp'er-Tingah - some of my German readers may chuckle, as there is a taxidermist tradition of mixing animals to create a Wolpertinger - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger  

As mentioned in the previous post I was thinking about a human head for the beast.
So I quickly sketched some ideas.
First something wage and ghostly
Then a bit more human
but even this human version didn't really convince me.
So I quickly sketched a dragon-style head and left it at that for the night.
The next day I looked at the options again and decided to take the dragon route.
So I added some basic eyes and a gums for the upper jaw
Then I started to block out the nose and lips
some of the cheek lines
Eyelids
More facial details
Eyebrows and wrinkles
Nostrils
Starts to look properly angry
With dragon skin
The next evening I started with the lower jaw
Basic jaw line
At this state I did a pose check
Relatively big, I probably have to beef up some sections of the body...
But continuing with the dragon-style I started to flesh out the neck

With the neck-muscles 
Still toothless
but already cool looking
At that time I did another all-around check and left it for the night.
The next evening I continued with the dragon skin for the lower jaw and neck
And I sculpted the tongue
Ready for some dental work
So I created a bunch of teeth from GreenStuff
 
The next evening I inserted the teeth and sculpted the teeth ridge
 
Now that's a proper smile 
 
With the left over GreenStuff I sculpted the mounting points for the reins as well as some horns
 
Since I always wanted to repeat a fiery-skin effect as I did with the Tar'Akoona dragon
I added a patch of this skin to the right side - at the same time beefing up the mass back there
 
And the thigh on the left also got some extra mass
 
With this the basic build for the Wolp'er-Tingah is completed
 
I'm quite pleased so far
 
Last night I finally began the rider
 
Though my cat wasn't quite pleased with the stinger...
 
...I was able to fix it - with some battle damage 😉
 
So here's the basic shape and pose for the rider
 
Hmm...
 
Ah, looks better with the reigns
 
So this is as far as I got.
What do you think?
Comments, suggestions?
I look forward to your feedback.
Cheers
Klaus