Thursday, January 11, 2018

Gothica (4)

Hi all,
the first post of this year!
So Happy New Year to you :)

The move to the new house is complete and went well.
However my little man-cave is a lot smaller than my original Santa's workshop and I still play Tetris with the existing furniture to make everything fit.
It's complete chaos.

To gain space I decided to build a paint rack for my colors.
So I used a wooden board - 100 x 60 cm - and mounted L-shaped racks.
I thought with this I would have enough room to get all my paints stored...
 
Aehm, not quite 
 
So I built an additional rack for the smaller Citadel and GW paints, keeping the Vallejo in the main rack
 
The Scale75 paints are still in a box on the side (but I don't use them often, as I don't really like them).
Despite the racks, the man-cave is till chaos
 
 
But hey!
The book shelf looks orderly :)
 
Kind of :)

I left off last year with my Gothica being ready to be painted.
Since I want to have a specific light setting, I decided to take some photos of the model with the proper lights.
 
I printed some of these photos and keep them on my desk as guidance
With this covered I primed her black.
I had a basic idea of the colors she would wear, but wasn't sure if they'd work.
So I gave her a quick lick with these base colors.
I think they work well together.
But these colors would be "daylight" colors and not in the atmosphere I'm looking for.
 
My first attempt was to paint the desaturated colors and shadows on top of them
 
However this didn't work the way I wanted.
So I repainted her using a completely new (very limited) palette, based on ONE (dark blue-grey) color.
 
At first it wasn't quite convincing 
 
But once all colors were done with this palette it came together quite well.
 
So now I have all the base colors
 
in the proper atmosphere
 
and I can start adding
 
shadows and lights.
 
So what do you think?
Cheers
Klaus