Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Erebus - a new tank (3)

Hi all,
thanks for the great feedback and messages :)
Feels good to know you're still here and reading.

Continuing with the build, I fleshed out the track skirts with some additional angled armor.
Probably a bit heavier than I had originally envisioned,
but I think the proportions work.
 
Next I assembled the road-wheels so generously gifted by Massimo.
 
This is how I planned to mount them.
 
Massimo told me he didn't really like the MiniArt tracks and prefers the Trumpeter tracks, as he had some issues assembling the tracks to be "workable"
 
Well, after a few tries I do agree with Massimo.
These tracks are a pain in the A**.
 
The pins are too soft and have no working catch - they fall out again.
Do you guys have any experience with these tracks?

While pondering the tracks issue I cut the mounts for the wheels with my trusted "Chopper"
 
To keep the wheels properly aligned and straight I pinned them onto a strip of plastic card.
 
With this I can ensure they are straight and aligned while the glue cures.
 
But when mounting the track skirts I realized it was all too low.
 
The wheels sit too high on the hull
 
This isn't looking good.
 
So I mounted "axles" beneath the hull and cut supports to hold them in place
 
This looks better now
 
The wheels now have the proper height ratio to the vehicle and skirts
 
After chatting again with Massimo and realizing that I have glued wheels - which means "workable" tracks are non-sense anyway - I simply glued the tracks together and mounted them.
 
I really like the way they turned out.
 
Starts to look like a tank.
 
With a nice rear 😉
 
And so it was time to mount the main gun
 
Well, size matters, eh?
 
What do you think?
 
When looking at modern tanks, like say the Challenger, I think the ratio of the gun is good.
 
Or what do you say? Too long?
Please let me know what you think.
Cheers
Klaus