Thursday, February 28, 2013

Project: MARS

Hi everyone,

currently there is a short seasonal break in my arts classes as we switch from drawing to painting, and my drawing esprit lost a bit of its momentum (as usual).
So I have a bit of time on my hands that I need to waste. I'm not sure how much time I'll really have and if it will be enough to complete a project (be warned), but I'll try...

I didn't really want to pick up any of my never ending WIP projects but rather start something new (also as usual)

Normally I'm not a fan of walking tanks.
Well I did "Da Spida" for my Stachelnschweinz Orks, but somehow I never thought of walking tanks for IG would be a good idea.













But something inspired me and got my thought process moving into that direction.
So I scribbled some notes and plans down.
 












The idea is closely aligned to the HERCULES, as I want to use a similar turret as main armament.
So it will be larger than the HERC, but still smaller than the ZEUS.
 












So between ZEUS and his son HERCULES would be...
MARS :)
 












Again, using the HERC turret as a guide I started sketching the hull shape on a sheet of plastic card.
 












 Cleaned up some meassurements...












and started cutting (1.5mm plasticard as the base)
 












And recreated my notes a bit cleaner.
 












The hull will have a lot of angles and different shapes, so I start with just the very basic build, to leave me a much freedom as possible for later stages.


 








 












 












 













All the main markers in place.
 












Side by side with the HERCULES.













So next I will have to determine the height and length of the legs.

Armament wise the MARS will have the twin Vanquisher turret from the HERC, 1 or 2 AT-Missile launchers on the side of the turret (like the TOW launcher on a Bradley), two rocket launchers on the hull, 2 Flamethrowers on the front hull, and most likely some Bolters on the sides.
I am considering a Demolisher gun for the nose, but will have to see how it looks.

So, what do you think?
Cheers

Klaus