Wednesday, August 14, 2013

ATHENA - Steampunk airship (101)

Thanks guys!
Thank you for your well wishes :)

Well, I continued painting the ATHENA, and since she now has some real damage, I decided to see how I can paint her to incorporate the real and "fake" damage together.

As stated in the last post, I worked on the forward section.

The deeper damages are hand painted, while the minor damage is done with a sponge.
 
I also painted and remounted the wooden chests. I think they fit nicely :)
 
The actual detailing and damage is complete for this section, but in the end everything will get another coat of dirt (usually a wash of Devlan Mud and some Badab Black) and then lots of stains and grime.
The forward banner received its slogan:
"Sans Preur, Invictus Maneo" - "Without Fear, I remain unconquered"
I was asked how I draw the deeper damage (since I don't use the "Salt technique").
So I start off with the damage in a dark grey-brown.
Then I paint the shadows of the damage in Terracotta (simulating the rust resilient paint)
and the highlights with Shadow Grey
Some of the really deep grooves also receive a bit of Boltgun Metal
and to even things out, I add some minor damage with a sponge (using the first dark brown-grey again)
Its a bit more work than using the salt, but I feel more comfortable this way :)
It also works for bigger damage, like this patched up blast damage.
Well, it's been a long and hard campaign, and the Orks on Dencara 5 proved to be a worthy enemy. There was hardly any time for maintenance or cleanup.

Now that "Operation Redeemer", the battle campaign against the Orks on the southern hemisphere, is over and the ATHENA on its way back north, to Xanthium, there is time.


And with free time comes boredom - to keep up discipline the first work details are assigned by the officers. Some of the not-so-fortunate (or not-so-brave) sailors are grabbing their paint buckets and paint rollers and start their dreaded imposition...
 
That's as far as I got over the last two days.
I hope you like today's little update.
Cheers
Klaus