Thursday, July 27, 2017


Hi all,

this project started already on July 7th - but I simply wasn't sure if I could carry it through for any distance.

But now almost 3 weeks later I'm still at it and even if won't finish it, I think it can be entertaining and inspiring.
So here we go.

The THANATOS Atmospheric Assault Carrier is more or less a pimped version of the HERMES - a bit bigger with some improvements to it. If everything works out as planned it will be part of a diorama attack scene - if not, just a chunk of plastic gathering dust :D

But with the help of my cats it is great to be in the hobby again and be creative and get things done.
So here is Ben helping me with the Chopper.
I was cutting plastic tube pieces which are used as head-rests for these seats.
As you can see by the seats (7 per side compared to the 5 per side in the HERMES),
The THANATOS will be bigger.
With the 7 seats there is still room to spare.
And the isle between the seats is also comfortably wide - 2 abreast can easily fit.
Once I had the basic passenger bay outlined I started to build up the sides
and the ceiling.
The THANATOS will use a front ramp for quick entry and exit.
Since I want to detail some of the interior sections most pieces are not glued but rather taped together.
This is the passenger bay with the built-up sides.
Since the THANASOS is based on the HERMES, which in return is based on the PONOS ( it also needs a superstructure for the cockpit and engine and weapons, and, and, and....
As you can see I'm using a Dream Forge Eisenkern trooper for scale.
The idea is that the first troopers disembarking will be heavy assault troops, followed by lighter storm trooper (Scions), followed by standard troopers (IG).
As you can see here I plan to have a clear window to the cockpit.
Not sure if I can pull this through to have visible interior, but hey why not plan big :-P

So the next decision was a turret on the top.
Here I have the possible candidates:
The PHRIKE turret:
The ZEUS Vanquisher:
The EPIALES turret:
In the end I'm doing something new - as usual :)

Not sure if I will really make parts of the interior visible, but for right no I plan on doing so
Since I don't want to mess with ammunition I decided to go for a power weapon.
Like a Vulcano Cannon...
Could be sexy :)
With the gun in place I started to work up the turret armor.
This last image is from July 17 - so 10 days since the start of the project.
This concludes the first part of the built.
I will post more tomorrow.
Thanks for reading and sticking around.