Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Project Nighthawk (3)

250th post!
:)

Thank you for your participation and feedback.
I really listen to all of you (and the guys at Work in Progress and Warseer), and so I decided to have two armament versions.
The Nighthawk/Owl on the elevator (this one) will have the 6 AA-HK-Missiles in addition to the 4 nose machine guns, while the second model will have the two Punishers and a Hellfire AtG Missile in addition to the nose armament.
So the two different wing types will look like this - I think I will add an Ammo Drum for the Punisher mounted on the engine housing.

With this settled, I began to build the secondary thrusters mounted on the wing tips.

and this is how they look. The two small rings in the center are the connectors for the Punishers.

Then I constructed the missile launch rails and mounted them.

The completed underside with rivets and all - note the right wing is patched up...
Here I had a major hick-up while sanding and I decided to cover it up as a patched battle damage. relatively crude, thick metal, larger rivets - it will also be bare metal in the painted version.

The upper side of the wings, also with rivets.

And this is how they will look in the folded position on the elvevator.


Since the canopy will the the next larger item to build I had to complete the cockpit.
For this I had to build the gunners station.

As you can (hopefully) see, it consists of a Joy-Stick and a larger (radar?) screen, plus a kind of keyboard.


With all the owl-talk about the name - I think I will settle on STRIX - I remembered a painting I did half a lifetime ago.
It depicts a 1939 Lagonda "LG Rapide" and an attacking Owl. I did this during my early airbrush times - September 1991 says the signature - where most of my work was still with a regular brush and the airbrush was mainly used for highlights and the background.

Anyhow, I think I want to use this owl for the side wings of the rear fuselage (just like I did with the tiger face for the CHARON).

And maybe a black silouetted version over a red circle as the unit logo?
Who knows...
I hope you like the armament solution and STRIX for the name.
Cheers
Klaus