Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A Meeting of Scouts (3)

Hi all,
thank you for the feedback :)

One thing left for the PHRIKE were antennae. So I heated some plastic from a leftover sprue and slowly pulled it apart, creating nice thin antennae.
 
Since it is a scout tank, I opted for 3 antennae.
 
This completed the actual build for the PHRIKE.

As I had mentioned in the first post, the diorama idea is the meeting of scouts, with the PHRIKE having thrown a track, and a KAIROS armored reconnaissance vehicle being also on the scene.
The KAIROS will be loosely based on the UK Fox Armored Reconnaissance Vehicles

Somehow I had the idea to build it with a almost functioning suspension (don't ask me what brain-fart had ridden me)
I had some wheels from a Tamiya US M3 Scout Car that I wanted to used. Together with some springs retrieved from a ballpoint pen I started out.
 
Pretty simple.
 
Since I wanted to picture the KAIROS with turned front wheels I thought I needed to also build functioning steering.
 
Basic function accomplished.
 
So I started to built the sides based on my plans.
 
But during the building of the hull I kept on breaking the steering. So I cannibalized an old Tamiya SdKfz 251/1.
 
This seemed to be a bit more stable and so I continued with the hull.
 
During sanding I broke the axles again (sigh)
 
With the basic hull completed, I realized I had build the whole vehicle rather wrong, and I was about to throw it away and start anew.
 
But I bit my teeth together, glued the front wheels in position and rebuilt most of the upper superstructure.
 
I think it now comes rather close to the Fox, isn't it?
 
 
 
And once it has the headlights, it will fit into the PONOS family nicely.
 
For the turret I'm also orienting towards the original Fox turret, but with twin Lasers.
 
The first version however was too high.
Looked very unbalanced.
 
So the second version is 1cm high instead of the initial 1.5cm
 
And with lots of putty.
 
So, what do you think?
Is the KAIROS OK? 
Thanks
Klaus