Tuesday, September 8, 2009

ATHENA - Steampunk Airship (21)

While I was working on the ATHENA's torpedo system I ran across this Russian beauty:

It's called the RBU-6000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBU-6000
and is an Anti-Submarine rocket launcher system.
"It fires RGB-60 unguided depth charges. The rockets are normally fired in salvos of 1, 2, 4, 8 or 12 rounds. Reloading is automatic, with individual rounds being fed into the launcher by the 60UP loading system from a below deck magazine. Typical magazine capacity is either 72 or 96 rounds per launcher. It can also be used as a shore bombardment system."

Well, you know me when it comes to such beautiful toys: I want one too!
So I started to build one, using Plastruct rods and the grenades of the IG mortar sprue.

Then some additional stuff

and I quickly created 12 tubes (9 with grenades, 3 empty ones)

Then I created some turret for it - again, a bit steampunked

And mounted the tubes

Fearsome, isn't it?

Of course elevation mechanism ect was needed, but no real mount for it yet (I will have to do that tonight).

Then some sights

and other details for the rear

and a scale shot

:)
Next will be a folding crane besides it, that will be used for loading, maybe a hatch for the ammo magazine...
For the rules, I looked at the Exorcist rules, where you first roll a D6 to see how many rockets are fired, and then resolve each rocket to hit individually. But maybe instead of the Strenght and AP of the Exorcist, use some lower numbers, but give it a small blast template for it. Range of 48" should be OK.
What do you think?
Cheers
Klaus