This is the sample barrel I built as first step.
Once I was satisfied with it, I cut the pieces for the remaining 7 barrels
Within a matter of about 30 minutes I had the barrels completed to the baseic shape.
Then another 2 hours for the detailing.
Additionally I began cutting the gun mounts itself. As you can see I altered the shape a bit, so that I got the curved backend, matchng the other steampunked items on the ATHENA.
The front plates of the gun mounts consist of 2 pieces.
Then the "walls"
And put together
This is how they will look once the barrels are mounted. But then I realized I need a "left" and a "right" shape....
So I had to give two of the mounts a cut on the rear plate, so it looked identical to the other side.
Well there's going to be a lot of sanding and puttying tonight, in addition to the remaining curved backplate and then I can hopefully begin to detail them.
In the meantime I try to workout some palns for the actual turret, so I can pre-cut most pieces too.