Wednesday, June 3, 2009

ATHENA - Steampunk Airship (7)

Thanks for your feedback and participation guys!
Looking at this image, I would in theory have enough space to land a THANTALOS on the ATHENE.

But I supposed the lift would have to be bigger *grin*

Anyhow, I need to make sure I'm not getting carried away here. The initial concept was to have an airship from which I could launch some stormtroopers, as well as do some Air-to-Ground fire and maybe something like the "planetary bombardment".
In addition I was thinking about having one or two interceptors on the ATHENE for Air-Defense.

Looking at the blimp form of the body, I could realistically host some planes (with folded wings), but not as much as on a real carrier...
I will look some more into this this afternoon...especially considering that in 40K most planes are VTOL anyway.

OK, in the meantime, I started work on the first wing engine.
I started with the cap of a spray can, but since it was a bit to short, I had to extend it. For this I cut it first.

Then inserted a strip of plasticard to extend it.

Now it is 1.5 cm longer.

Then I worked on the forward end of the engine (where the propeller is mounted).

Of course, no real imperial engine can work without rivets :)

Then the mounts of the engine so it can be rotated.

Some detailing.

More rivets.

And more rivets.

And finally mounting the "face".

Since the plastic of the cap if a very funny plastic, with a very glossy surface (from which I don't know if any paint will stick to it), I will make a mold tonight, and then cast two engines from it.