Well I'm not really sure, but everytime I think I have a hang of it, that stuff surprises the hell out of me. Time and again - and in most cases it's a nasty surprise too *sheepish grin*
There are some (more or less) usefull links out on the web, including some videos on youtube:
but I'm sure you've seen and read a lot of it already.
Some things to always remember:
- work in small amounts (do only a little bit, let it cure and then continue - otherwise you may damage the excellent piece you've just done accidently with you finger or a tool)
- Water - always have water to keep your tools from sticking
- Tools - the right tools can make your day. Unfortunately I have no images handy right now, but there are some soft rubber pointed tools out there that are best when manipulating GS and help you get smooth surfaces
FOUND THEM! Here http://www.rai-ro.de/english/katalog/seite22e.htm the "Color Shapers" they are awesome
- Patience! For me there was (and still is) a huge amount of trial and error involved when it comes to GS. I can't even count how often I have to lean back, take a deep breath, say a mantra and try again
OK, this video here is not really Greenstuff, but it is part 1 of an extensive sculpting video (and despite in German it is incredible what this guy does)
So, here's a little-step-by-step for some of my soldiers.
First the obligatory haircut, then I added ears, and placed two small balls of GS, and flattened them.
With a small wet rod I carefully pressed the "lenses" into the goggles. And a small strip of GS was flattened on the head to simulate the band holding the goggles.
Then I added a very small piece of GS and quickly sculpted a mustache.
This dude will become a "Lenin-style" commisar hopefully).
While Lenins GS cured I worked on another Sarge. Again I started with the goggles.
And started with another field cap - this time the "Schiffchen" - a wedge or garrison cap.
Then I added and smoothened a small amount of GS on the head.
Next I flattened a small amount of GS and pre-cut it to create some "ear-flaps" and attached them.
Then a rather large cushion rim around the helmet base and some decorations.
Actually this helmet is higher and more pointed than I originally wanted - I wanted it to be flatter.
But I think for right now, I put him aside, and re-visit him in a few days and re-evaluate him.
Then I cut the pieces accordingly (remember to always keep your tools wet or the stuff sticks to the knife)
Then I tried to place it on the officers back.
And it was (AGAIN) time to lean back, take a deep breath, murmur a short mantra, and rip it back off :(
Then I carefully placed them on the officer, ensureing the seams met, as well as trying to simulate the natural flow of the coat with the postiton of the arms.
Time to re-visit little Lenin.