Wednesday, June 29, 2011

HERCULES (9)

Thanks everyone,
I really appreciate your support.
@GunGrave - yes, I was busy, but since it was a national holiday on Thursday in Germany I had a 4-day weekend, with a lot of time :)

Well, some of you voiced concerns about the aerial recognition flag I have planned, so I figured I'd give it a try and see if I have to change plans.
First I transferred my rough design with a pencil.

Then I started the eagle and the outside with Scab Red

Next was the inner disk in white. As you can see the plan was to have a thick black border.

But since it didn't turn out the way I expected it, I decided to omit the black border and fill the disk completely with white.

I like th eway it looks on the tank :)

Still a lot of detailing and shading,

but a good start I think.


As menitoned I plan to pain the HERCULES in a WWII 3-color German Ambush pattern.
So I gave it a base coat of dark yellow and then the first pattern with mahagoni - using Vallejo Air colors.

Only 2 colors so far, but it looks promising...




But on the bridge/diorama itself, it looks VERY yellow, don't you think?



I'm a bit disappointed...

So now I have to decide if I change the whole color scheme to a more red-ish base color, or if I keep it as it is, apply the 3rd color (a lighter brown, as a green wouldn't make sense on Dencara, would it?), and then see if the application of red dust and pigments, as well as some dirt will help to harmonize the colors better.
What do you guys think?
Continue and hope for red dust and dirt, or try something more red, like this here:

Please let me know what you think.
Cheers
Klaus