Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Dragon-Girl (3)

Hi all,

as stated in the last update, I was thinking a lot how to create the skin for the wings.
I did quite some experimenting and ended with using ProCreate.

For this I rolled the ProCreate very flat and then rolled it onto a sheet of crumpled aluminium foil and let it cure. 

Once it was cured I cut it into fitting sections and glued it to the wing skeleton.

And then I used liquid GreenStuff to smoothen the seams.

It was a bit of work and I had to do several rounds of liquid GreenStuff.

But I think it was worth it :)

With the build complete I decided to take some "light reference photos".
For this I cut simple candles to a small shape (so I can position it where needed)

and then took photos with the 4 candles in position where the "flames" will be.

I will use these photos as reference for painting her.


Speaking of painting :)
As usual I primed everything black

and then started painting the base.
This time I used a rather cold grey as base for the scene

and added some shades.


Next were the gold coins...
using my usual gold base color.
Just this little batch of coins took me a good hour to paint :(

If I'd have known how time consuming just this base color for the coins would be...


I probably would've tried something else.


All-in-all it took me the better part of 6 hours just to (base) paint the coins.

 Next will be the jewels and gems, plus the piece of cloth on the pillar, and then shading and highlighting according to the reference photos.

Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew....
I hope you like today's update and I look forward to your feedback and comments.