Friday, March 4, 2011

Inquisitor Hellsryche (6)

Hey guys,
I continued working on the diorama.
First I painted the base. As you can see, I'm going for a blue-greyish look.

The ornaments itself are blue, while the cobblestones are grey.

Then I also painted the rubble and debris and added some pigments.

Eventhough not completely dry, the base was pretty much finished at this time.

Then I thought about how I'd like to paint the minis. Looking at the finished base, I wanted to try something new.
I wanted to see if I could get a good de-saturated look to the minis, so everything more grey than colored. For this I made my own color chart and desaturated the shaded colors in PhotoShop and printed it out.

Here you can see the desaturated red, compared to the standard red on the mini in front.

But somehow I wasn't convinced, so I quickly tried the other colors on just one mini...

...not quite what I hoped for :(

Even in front of the base plate, I think the standard painted sister looks better, doesn't she?




So I think I will go back to the initial plan and paint the minis in my standard colors.

Together with weathering and some pigments I'm sure I can make them fit the scene.
What do you guys think?
Continue trying the de-staurated look or use the standard colors?
Thanks
Klaus